I am officially just a few short weeks away from my due date! It feels like only yesterday I was in disbelief I was actually pregnant, and here we are about to meet our baby boy at any time now.
In this solo episode, I’m going to be taking you through what I’ve been doing to prepare for maternity leave as a business owner. It’s totally different than putting in for maternity leave while working for a company. When you’re running the business, that business is either going to just completely stop when you’re on leave, or it’s going to keep going in some form without you if you have enough team support.
This is our first baby and I don’t know how this is actually going to all go down! From when he arrives, to the actual birth, and then recovering and learning how to care for a newborn. I have no idea how I’m going to be feeling during all these times so I’m doing my best to remain open to all possibilities, and setting up my business to be able to be fluid with me.
Here are some of the ways I’ve been preparing for maternity leave as a business owner:
FOR THE BUSINESS & LOGISTICS
- Make sure we have the support we need so our client work is completely covered by the team
- Remove myself from client facing activities = mainly consult calls for some time
- Have someone else manage my emails
- Have been open with new book-ins for our higher level service about my leave plan
- Planning for a period of disconnection before I start doing team check ins
FOR MY MINDSET
- Staying open to many possibilities of what these 3 months will look and feel like
- Allowing myself to make this big change my priority vs. business growth
- Allowing myself to invest heavier in support and pull back on my own pay if needed
- Realized my level of involvement with the design business could easily continue as-is “post maternity leave”.
Connect on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kristinrichards.co
Want to stay in the loop for all future Create Your Destiny Podcast episodes?!
CLICK HERE to subscribe on Apple Podcasts!